Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring Training Slump: Get it out of your system

Spring training games are definitely not as important as the regular season, however fans like me prefer to see their team win during spring training AND the regular season. This has not been the case for my beloved White Sox. What's the deal?



When I flew in to Arizona March 19, I came right in the middle of a Sox slump. At that point they had lost five consecutive games and made it 6 against the Cubs on March 21. That was just plain brutal. I actually left the game early because I couldn't watch it anymore. Granted it's spring training, but it's still not to be taken lightly.



The players know they have things to work on, but will they get this out of their system before opening day? Dewayne Wise was the only one who really opened up on specifics of what he needs to improve in his game. He told me that offensively, he needs to be more patient at the plate and try to get on base more, and defensively getting jumps on balls. The whole team needs to patient at the plate and get on base more. That, and some defensive mishaps (I'm sorry Fields, but you really need to dive for those line drives at third) are basically why spring training wasn’t pretty. We had the worst of both worlds.



The Sox ended spring training with a 16-20 record, tenth in the Cactus League. Fantastic. Now that they came back healthy like they were worried about, hopefully they left their poor game behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment