Thursday, February 12, 2009

Who's the real journalist?

Blogging has become an entirely different world nowadays. Anyone can post their opinion about absolutely anything at anytime. While this doesn't necessarily make their writing creditable, bloggers still play an important role in the sports world. I highly disagree with the video of the guy complaining to the owners of Deadspin about blogging. It is not journalistic dishonesty yet I'm not quite sure I'd consider it journalistic at all. 
I agree with Will Leitch when he said its hard work to keep up a blog. Considering I had one with CSR and you needed to bring up important issues, back up your facts, and be serious about whatever it is you're writing about. I don't really consider it journalistic because it is my own thoughts and opinions, and sometimes me just rambling about things. With journalism, you do more research, interviews, etc. There is a lot more that goes into journalism than what goes into blogging. 
Blogging has become important to sports teams for sure, mainly because it keeps their fans updated and connected with their favorite teams. Plenty of beat writers have blogs, like Sun-Times writer Joe Cowley , who keeps readers informed about the Sox and his opinion on things, which he definitely has. They're fun to read and they definitely get people talking. 
Someday blogging might take over for online news and media, but I sure hope not. You never know what idiot is out there yanking your chain and making things up. Shoot, who says I even know what I'm talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment