Thursday, February 12, 2009

He's how old???!!

Scrolling through the roster on The White Sox website, I notice a new infielder, born 3/10/1989..wait what? Shoot, this kid is younger than I am and is playing for the White Sox? Really? He better be good..

Dayan Viciedo is from Villa Clara, Cuba and just signed a four-year, $11 million major-league deal, guaranteeing him more money than any player under 21 signed as an international free-agent. (this is how I know) Are you kidding me? Even better, rumor has it that he'll take Joe Crede's place at 3rd. (I know the ladies are upset).  However, there is a lot of talk out in the web world how Viciedo is a baseball prodigy and MLB's next Cuban star.  Just look at this video..





I think we all get a little too excited and quick to judge when a young hot shot comes into the roster, and while I'm not suggesting that I'm not excited about him, I just think we should wait to see what this kid has. Is he really a baseball prodigy? Alexei Ramirez seems to think so.. Let's take a look..


Maybe he'll prove me wrong.. I hope so..

1 comment:

  1. I still think Fields is gonna win that battle, at least for this year. From what I've heard, he can also play the corner outfield spots and first base. Eventually Konerko is gonna need to be moved (probably after this year), so he's certainly a candidate there.

    I predict he'll spend this season in the minors and will come up next season and rake the tar off the ball like Miguel Cabrera did. Hopefully he won't hit the buffett line like Cabrera though.

    ReplyDelete