Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Let's Get This Write

There are tons of different ways to report about sports and other topics in journalism in general. I think print journalists kind of have it a little easier considering we have more space to tell a story and less worries bout visualizing everything with photos or video. However, I think it's a good idea to do a photo essay instead of a regular beat or profile once in awhile. Sometimes a story is better told through a visual medium.

Content can be very different depending on which way you want to take the story. For example, a while ago there was an issue with blow up dolls in the White Sox locker room. It was extremely controversial and there were two completely different biased perspectives. Joe Cowley of The Chicago Sun-Times reported it just how it was. He stated the facts and didn’t take any side. However, Kara Spak took the side of well, a woman. I wrote a blog about how much I disliked her viewpoint and she told me I didn't know the difference between a column and a news story. Well, sorry but I definitely do, and I don't know if she realized it or not but she took a feminists perspective on it. She interviewed mainly women and other feminists and she didn't even see the dolls. Who you interview can definitely twist a story. I think Spak's was definitely more biased than Cowley's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a journalist, I have to make sure I do not appear to be biased in any of my articles and make sure I get both sides of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment